CURRIED CITRUS SALAD
It’s most definitely Summertime! Things are heating up, and cooking is at the bottom of the priority list! It’s too hot and there’s too much fun to be had outside of the kitchen! Health never falls by the wayside, however, so I’m always looking for easy, fast, one dish meals to serve. These requirements sometimes compromise health, however, even in the midst of bikini season! But not today!
Today, I set out to create a cooling salad, one that is hearty and filling with healthy fats as well as Supergreens that are alkalizing and citrus that is refreshing. Thai and Asian flavors always appeal to my palate, with their light and tangy tastes, and the dressing on my Curried Salad delivers just that! Lots of flavor, fast and easy, but with health intact! Who could really ask for more?
Using Tahini and Miso as the dressing’s base, this salad is loaded with healthy fats and essential amino acids, critical for the building blocks of a healthy metabolism, vitamin absorption, effective cell development, satiety, and of course disease prevention. Health aside, the flavor is outstanding.
Your whole family will love this salad! It’s super for a weeknight dinner, easy lunch, and flexible enough to pair with grilled fish or chicken to please those seeking a heartier meal.
This will become a staple in your summer repertoire! Enjoy!
SUMMER CURRIED CITRUS SALAD, serves 4 meals/6 side dishes
Author: Kristen Tinker/Pacer Kristen
1/4 cup tahini
2 TBSP miso
2 TBSP water
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 TBSP coconut milk
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp Pink Salt, to taste
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Optional: Cayenne pepper for heat, to taste
1 cup prepared Brown Basmati Rice (or use prepared Path of Life Brown Rice/Quinoa mixture)
1/2 cup red cabbage, sliced into thin strips
2 cups Super Greens, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, grated or sliced thinly
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup chopped broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds, salted and toasted
2 oranges, segments sliced and juice squeezed over greens at end
- In the bottom of a salad bowl, whisk tahini and miso with a 1 TBSP water to form a smooth paste. Add remaining lemon juice and all dressing ingredients. Whisk to incorporate.
- Prepare Rice on stove or warm Path of Life Rice mixture in microwave safe bowl.
- Add prepared rice, cabbage, Super Greens, carrots, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro, broccoli, almonds, and orange segments to the bowl.
- Squeeze juice from remaining orange over salad. **Salad may be covered at this point, placed in fridge and mixed later that day.
- Mix salad to evenly distribute dressing and serve immediately.
Garnish with additional cilantro sprigs, red bell pepper and onion rings, and top with grilled chicken or fish if desired.