BANANA APPLE SPICE PANCAKES
I’m on a fall kick. It may not feel like fall in Florida, and particularly in the height of Hurricane Season, but I find myself wanting to bake, create in the kitchen, and generally seek out more comforting, warming flavors and spices. This week I’ve been into caramel and cinnamon. Probably the amazing Pier One Pumpkin Spice candles burning throughout our home are contributing to my drive to bake.
We were meant to have seasonal changes, but not just in the weather, in our routine, our habits, our desires, and our rhythm. Time for work, time for rest. And therein lies the problem for most…no rest! And since our bodies cannot differentiate being chased by a bear versus the constant demands of 21st Century life, it’s essential to have a few “tricks in your bag” to keep stress minimized.
Weekends, family time, and cooking are ideal for grounding yourself, getting back to basics, slowing down the clock, and generally reconnecting with your inner self. And when you can throw in a few superfoods into the cooking equation, you are set for a great day, especially when it involves pancakes that your whole family will love.
Today’s recipe uses heart healthy oatmeal, a gluten free caramel apple fiber blend that raises “skinny hormone” adiponectin levels, flax seed eggs to boost Omega-3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation in your body and to lower risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis. With all this yummy health happening, it’s time to light that fall Pier One candle and get mixing!
Image Courtesy of Minimalist Baker
BANANA APPLE SPICE PANCAKES, makes 12 pancakes
Author: Kristen Tinker
2 flax eggs (2 TBSP ground flax + 5 TBSP water; allow to sit for several minutes while the flax absorbs the water and becomes thick)
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup organic, unbleached, non-bromated whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal, ground (coffee bean grinder is perfect to make your own oatmeal at home)
1 scoop caramel apple fiber (18 grams)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm griddle or large skillet over low-medium heat. Season skillet if necessary by allowing a thin coat of oil to warm on the griddle while making batter.
- In small bowl, make flax seed egg using 2 TBSP ground flax seed and 5 TBSP water. Allow to sit until water is absorbed and mixture is thick.
- Mash one ripe banana to a smooth consistency.
- Mix dry ingredients and pecans in small mixing bowl.
- Add flax seed egg, almond milk, and vanilla. Stir until well incorporated.
- Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto warmed skillet.
- Watch pancakes carefully, when batter becomes cooked and golden around the edges (1-2 minutes), flip to second side. Allow to bake 1-2 more minutes until firm but spongy and risen in the middle.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and fresh fruit.
Redeem your $50 gift card for your FREE Caramel Apple Fiber Blend at my Organic, non-GMO Superfoods store. Use the gift card code “pacerkristen” and use the “Basic Activation.”