Cravings and afternoon snacking are the “Achilles heel” for most, especially those who are looking to lose weight or to improve health metrics. Snacks are unavoidable, and for most individuals, increased willpower and restriction only increase the craving. Been there, done that! It happens to the best of us, and it’s why birthday cake rarely sits in the house for more than a day or two. You get the kids in bed, you’ve eaten perfectly all day, but then you feel a pull, dare I say an obligation, to finish off the remaining decadent quarter of a cake. You realize it’s technically off limits, and all the justifications come rushing through your brain, but it doesn’t change the magnetic pull of chocolate deliciousness, just waiting and luring you to the kitchen.
Image Courtesy of Dr. Axe
- Symptoms: you’ll find yourself a bit depressed and irritable.
- Cravings: cheese/dairy, eggs, grains, salmon, poultry, banana, potatoes, beans, sesame seeds,
- Rationale: The aforementioned foods are rich in Tryptophan, the precursor to Serotonin.
- Caution: Tryptophan-rich foods are typically animal proteins, which add acid, inflammation, calories, unhealthy fats, and the subsequent craving for carbohydrates, both because carbs alone increase serotonin and also because carbs help drive tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier. Carbs make serotonin available! But be aware that carbs also spike insulin levels, which have a ripple negative effect on health!
- Action: The best way to increase Serotonin healthfully is with a daily source of Spirulina, one of the top ingredients in Purium’s Apple Berry Green Shake.
- Result: Increasing the amount of tryptophan in your body will both decrease depression, and it will give you the control to resist comfort foods.