There’s nothing better than fast, easy, nutrient heavy, and plant-based meals. That’s the queue,…enter Jackfruit! If you haven’t heard of this amazing fruit, it’s time to add it to your weekly repertoire.
Jackfruit is a great source of Vitamin C and the B Complex Vitamins with a buttery taste, similar to a banana. It aids memory, helps with migraines, and improves mood. What’s more, the Jackfruit helps with energy and heart disease! But what I love most about Jackfruit is its texture. Thick and hearty but with shreds, similar to chicken, you can easily sub out the animal protein in many dishes and add seasoned Jackfruit instead.
My BBQ sandwiches are just one example of a fast and easy meal, which can be thrown together in minutes, without the guilt of compromising taste and health in the name of convenience. Your whole family will love these sandwiches! Throw some sweet potato fries and orange wedges on the side, and you have one satisfying, quick and flavorful meal!
BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICHES, serves 4
INGREDIENTS: Please note, I recommend several brands, but I am not paid for endorsing them in any way.
- 4 whole grain sandwich buns (Ezekial sprouted grain are preferred)
- 1 package Upton Natural’s BBQ Jackfruit (use 2 packages for 8 sandwiches OR for heartier sandwiches, as shown in the photo)
- Organicville BBQ sauce (optional for juicier sandwiches)
- Garnishes: dill pickle slices, sliced red onion, cole slaw
COLE SLAW GARNISH, serves 4
Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well incorporated. Season to taste.
- 2 cups cole slaw mix
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (more to taste)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- salt to taste (about 1/8-1/4 tsp)
- Cut pouch of Jackfruit open and place in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat with a small amount of oil (optional). Cook for 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. For finer shreds, break up in pan.
- Add BBQ sauce to taste (optional) and warm thoroughly. Do not stir to too much to preserve consistency.
- Meanwhile, toast sandwich buns, slice onion, and prepare Cole slaw.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide jackfruit mixture among 4 toasted sandwich buns. Top with Cole slaw, sliced onion, and pickles.