I don’t know about you, but my family LOVES ice cream…and lots of it!
And while it’s awesome to put a smile on their faces, it’s not so great to have the guilt associated with adding sugar to the family diet. It really doesn’t matter if it’s organic, gluten-free, non-dairy or even low fat dairy, the point is that they ALL contain refined sugar. And refined sugar is sugar!
Your daily limit for sugar is 24 grams (female) and 36 grams (male). I’m not talking about sugar from fruits and vegetables, these limits are added sugars, which have the amazing ability to sneak into our diets.
And please look beyond the obvious cookie, brownie, or sweet treat. Sugar is invasive, like a weed. It overcrowds your diet in the sneakiest of ways: protein bars, cereal, yogurt, drinks, etc..You name it, sugar seems to find its way into our diet! It’s why the average American consumes just over 150 pounds of sugar annually! Really!
Dessert is one place you can proactively cut back on the amount of sugar consumed. My Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream is an ideal treat, with natural sweets and a huge burst of yummy flavor. And for an incredible topping, dollop Coconut Whipped Cream on top.
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 frozen banana, sliced
- Almond Extract (a few drops 2-3)
- Squirt of Lemon juice (approx 1/2 tsp)
- OPTIONAL: Coconut whipped cream (SO Delicious is a fast alternative to homemade)
- Place all ingredients into a blender or mini food processor.
- Blend to a semi-smooth consistency.
- Place “ice cream” in a fancy dish.
- Top with coconut whipped cream if desired and garnish with a mint leaf.
- Serve immediately.
If you are working to reduce sweets and to improve health and weight loss, jump on my FREE 5-Day Sugar Detox Challenge, starting April 4. Download your FREE guide to get started!