Cherries, walnuts, and brown rice…OH MY! Today, I’m serving up a dinner that is rich in antioxidants, heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, protein, vitamins, and an excellent source of those hard to find omega-3 fatty acids. Not only does this make a beautiful, gourmet dish, but it uses precooked, organic brown rice, so it’s fast and easy too.
Best part?…Your body will thank you because you’re serving up clean, healthy eating that is great for your heart, helps to lower cholesterol, and assists with weight control.
CHERRY WALNUT STUFFED CHICKEN, serves 4
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken Breasts, approximately 4 medium sized
- 1 cup Stonebridge Orchards cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup and 2 T Uncle Matt’s organic orange juice, divided
- 1/4 cup and 2 T Apothe Cherry juice, divided
- 7.4 oz package Minsley Cooked Brown Rice, divided, reserving 1/4 cup for dressing plates
- 2 cups Mack’s Flax Sprouted Grain Bread, cut into small cubes and toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped raw, unsalted walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tsp finely diced Poblano pepper
- 2 TBSP chopped chopped cilantro
- 2 TBSP finely chopped red onion [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
- Bring 1/2 cup water, 2 TBSP orange juice, and 2 TBSP Apothe Cherry to boil in small saucepan. Once bubbling, remove from heat and mix dried cherries into hot mixture. Allow cherries to soak for approx. 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut bread slices into small cubes. Season to taste with garlic salt and place evenly on an aluminum lined baking sheet. Toast bread cubes in 325 oven for 15-20 minutes, tossing once to expose all sides, until browned around edges and crunchy.
- Mix all but 1/4 cup brown rice, bread cubes, walnuts, cherry mixture with juice, and remaining ingredients into a small mixing bowl until well incorporated.
- Place one chicken breast on half of large saran wrap sheet, cover with second half and pound chicken uniformly to approximately 1/2″ thickness. Repeat with each chicken breast.
- Place 1/4 of the cherry mixture on one long half of the flattened chicken breast. Roll the breast so that both sides meet. Fasten both sides with a toothpick all the way around, so rice mixture is enclosed. Repeat with each chicken breast.
- Place each rolled chicken breast into a baking dish, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Place mini bell peppers around chicken and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned and steaming.
- While chicken is baking, mix 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup Apothe Cherry in small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce by half until thick and syrup like. Season with 1/8 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Allow chicken to cool approximately 5 minutes and slice into medallions.
- Serve with green salad. Garnish with extra brown rice, additional dried cherries, and cilantro.
- Drizzle chicken and salad with cherry, orange mixture and serve warm.