I’m seriously in love with chopped salads AND BROCCOLI.
Broccoli adds crunch to the whole salad scene, and it packs a lot of unique healing compounds too!
The problem with traditional broccoli salads starts with the mayo, then comes the sugar and bacon, and finally a bunch of cheddar cheese shreds to sabotage broccoli’s healthfulness.
Sound familiar? Admit it..you’ve had THAT Broccoli salad at one point in your summer picnic adventures!
And, truly this Superfood, when worked into the right flavors, really doesn’t need any help from bacon, sugar, cheese, or mayo!
In my Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cherries and Sunflower Seeds, think sweet, savory, tangy, crunchy, and creamy all tucked into one delicious, spoonful! Because that’s how you really should be eating a Chopped Salad, and particularly this one…spoonful after spoonful (set the fork aside). The spoon maximizes flavor and ensures that each little morsel is delivered flawlessly from plate to mouth. With such amazing taste, you don’t want to lose any of it!
And the bonus? You can throw this together within 15 minutes and make it days ahead to enjoy later!
Let’s get started!…After all, it takes only minutes to chop and throw together!
CHOPPED BROCCOLI SALAD WITH CHERRIES AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 head of broccoli and/or cauliflower, finely chopped (ends only, reserve stems for another use)
- 5 oz organic vegetable slaw mix (I used Pero brand)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (small handful) raisins
- 1/4 cup (small handful) golden raisins
- 1/4 cup (small handful) dried cherries
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp vegan cream cheese ( I used Miyoko’s brand..so good!)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Add salad ingredients to the a medium salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a small food processor, add dressing ingredients and blend to a smooth, creamy texture.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until dressing is well-incorporated throughout.
- Divide the salad into individual bowls, garnish with citrus slices and avocado slices and serve.
- Grilled chicken or fish work well served alongside.
- Leftovers will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge, covered.