Remember the old adage, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away?”
Well, it’s true!
Please never underestimate the superpowers of an apple. Sure it’s easy to throw in your purse, but little did you know it also has amazingly magical capabilities to transform your health and to boost your weight loss too!
And when we pair the almighty apple with another Superfood, cinnamon, you have yourself one very powerful combination! Here’s why:
Apples are nutrient dense, so they pack a lot of nutrition into one apple, without the added high calories. One apple contains approximately 95 calories, 5 grams (approx 20%) of your recommended daily allowances (RDA) fiber, 15% vitamin C, and a whole host of antioxidants and compounds that decreased risks of blood sugar, diabetes (one study showed a 28% decreases risk of diabetes from one, daily apple!), blood pressure, cancer, and even improved weight loss! You really should reconsider the whole “apple a day” thing!
In my Easy and Healthy Apple Pie recipe, I’ve included and purposely added cinnamon, the hero of antioxidants. Ounce for ounce, spices pack more antioxidants than any other food. So sprinkling spices such as cinnamon or cloves on your morning oatmeal, chia-seed pudding, or in this case, on an apple (raw, baked, or sauteed), you automatically and significantly increase the health content of your foods. Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, and reduces risk of cognitive decline. In one study, blood sugar was reduced by 20% with the addition of just 2-3 g daily cinnamon, while bad cholesterol and triglycerides were reduced by 27% and 30%, respectively.
HOLY WIN-WIN! Apples and cinnamon go together! Why not put create an easy and healthy apple pie to enjoy each afternoon or evening?
This easy and healthy dessert can be eaten daily, without guilt, and in fact with total resolute that you are loving your body with “nothin’ but the good stuff!”
If you love the idea of overcrowding your daily diet with healthy foods and pushing sugar to the side, jump on my FREE 5-Day Sugar Detox, starting April 4! Click here to download your free guide to get started!
EASY AND HEALTHY APPLE PIE, serves 1
- 1 tsp unrefined coconut oil, organic
- 1 medium (approx 215 grams) sweet apple, sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Dash of allspice
- Dash of nutmeg, ground or fresh from a microplane
- 2-3 drops maple extract (or to taste)
- Optional: Coconut whipped cream
- Optional: pecans, almonds, or walnuts, chopped or sliced
- Optional: maple syrup (omit to keep sugar content low)
**Sweet apples are preferred, such as a honeycrisp. Tart apples will not yield a sweet treat
- Warm oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place sliced apples in the skillet. Saute, stirring occasionally, until apples are semi-soft, approximately 5-7 minutes. Do not allow apples to get soggy.
- Add cinnamon, lemon juice, allspice, nutmeg, and maple extract.
- Allow flavors to meld, tossing to incorporate, and turn off heat immediately to keep mixture from drying out. Add coconut oil if it becomes too dry.
- Slide apple mixture into a ramekin dessert dish and top with nuts, and optional toppings.
- Enjoy while warm.