In the spirit of health and happiness, I’ve gone back to basics with some “practical” help from my store-bought shortcuts and keeping true to the requirements above. After all, if health isn’t practical, it’s certainly not sustainable either! Here goes…Greens, eggs, and seeds/grains! That’s simple enough..so simple, I don’t really even have a name for this concoction!
It has all the elements of healthfulness…greens for alkalinity, vitamins, and gut health, garlic for heart health and disease prevention, egg for healthy fats, vitamins – especially the B’s – and protein, and a quinoa/brown rice/hemp seed mixture for winter groundedness (is that a word?) and added fiber and minerals as well as a boost of protein for satiety! Best part is its adaptability and warmth on these cooler days.
When I say this is easy, I’m not kidding. Grab a skillet and get cooking!
GARLICKY GREENS and EGGS with QUINOA
Author: Kristen Tinker
1.5 packages Path of Life Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice mixture
3-4 tbsp Chipotle Manitoba Harvest Heart Hemp Toppers (add to taste)
2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced (approx 1 tbsp)
5 ounces Organic Girl Supergreens
Add a protein if desired (shredded pork or chicken)
Garnish: chopped cilantro, avocado slices, lime and orange wedges, Siracha or salsa
- Place POL Quinoa and Brown Rice mixture in covered Pyrex dish with a splash of water. Microwave for 3-5 minutes (time will vary depending on microwave) until light, fluffy, and heated through.
- Add Hemp Heart Toppers to quinoa mixture and gently toss to incorporate (overtiring will yield sticky quinoa). Set aside with cover on until ready to use.
- Heat 2-3 inches of water in a wide but shallow pan on stove. Gently crack each egg and place in hot water, being careful to keep the whole egg intact. Set the timer for 3 minutes to poach each egg.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Add Supergreens and saute until just wilted.
- To serve, place warm Quinoa mixture on plate, top with Garlicky Greens, and one egg.
- Garnish with avocado, chopped cilantro, Siracha, and citrus, as well as additional Hemp Heart Toppers, if desired. Also, shredded protein may be added for the carnivorous crew as well as Sprouted Grain Baguette for scooping up every last morsel!
For children or picky eaters, simply serve the Quinoa mixture and Egg or Quinoa mixture with Animal Protein. This meal is adaptable!