There’s really nothing better than Stir Fry! It uses up veggies that are crying to be consumed, it uses only one pan, and it comes together quickly! Add to this, Stir Fry is a healthy way to add nutrients including vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals into your diet, as well as some healthy fats too! It’s adaptability to accomodate tofu or animal protein makes it a winner for the whole family!
- Brown Rice, prepared according to package directions
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, yellow or red, stemmed, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger root, minced
1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup raw cashews, toasted and lightly seasoned with salt
1-2 Tbsp Tamari, low sodium and nonGMO (soy and soy products are highly treated with glyphosate poison)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- Warm a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add cashews and lightly toast until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies.
- Once cashews are golden brown, remove to cool on a paper towel and season lightly with salt.
- Reheat the large skillet over medium heat.
- Add a large “swirl” of sesame oil so that it evenly and lightly coats the pan’s surface.
- Add chopped onion and red bell pepper. Stir-fry for a few minutes, until the ingredients begin to soften but are still crisp.
- Add garlic and ginger, and stir fry for only one minute or until fragrant. (they will burn easily, so watch carefully!0
- Using a large spoon, transfer onion, pepper, garlic, ginger mixture to a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add the broccoli. Stir -fry for 6-8 minutes until broccoli begins to soften and turn a vibrant green
- Reduce heat to low and add the onion, pepper, garlic, ginger mixture as well as the Tamari and the cashews.
- Gently toss and allow to cook, covered for several minutes until flavors are incorporated.
To serve, place a scoop of rice on each plate and top with stir fry. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired and serve immediately.
**Whole Wheat or Sprouted Grain pita and sauteed tofu, chicken, or pork serve well alongside this stir fry.
**An Asian Salad of Supergreens, red cabbage, Seasoned Rice Vinegar (and/or lime juice) and sesame oil pair well on the side for a more complete meal.