Need an easy meal? (don’t let the steps fool you!)
Here you go!
GRILLED TOFU KEBABS
With only 8 ingredients and your grill, this is easy and simple to pull together with plant-based protein and nourishing veggies. Best part? You can prep the night before, invite friends for a fun evening, and serve a great “no fuss, no muss” dinner!
The bulk of your preparation is the night prior to squeeze out the water from your tofu. The more moisture you squeeze out, the more the tofu can absorb the flavor of the marinade. It’s a sponge!
- 14 oz extra firm organic tofu
- 4 cups veggies (onion wedges, red bell pepper, mushrooms, potatoes/sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash).
**Potatoes and onions can be placed on a kebab, but I like to pre-bake potatoes or microwave them in glass dish to soften first, which allows potatoes to cook evenly on a kebab. And, I like to grill onion wedges separately.
- 1/4 hoisin sauce (Chinese bbq sauce; I prefer Premier Japan because it’s free of undesired ingredients, including gluten)
- 3 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from 2 limes (approx 2 tbsp)
1) Drain water from tofu.
2) Next, squeeze water from the tofu by lining a plate with paper towels and place tofu atop. Place another paper towel on the tofu and then a cast iron skillet (or heavy object) on the tofu. Place in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes or several hours for best flavor, changing paper towels once very saturated.
3) Prepare marinade ingredients by whisking together in a small bowl.
4) Once tofu has drained, use a serrated knife to cut into 1 inch cubes and place tofu into a large casserole dish or bag with marinade. Allow to sit at least an hour or overnight for best flavor.
5) Soak wooden skewers in cold water for 20-30 minutes to prevent their browning and burning.
6) Light grill and warm to medium heat.
7) Cut vegetables into 1 inch cubes of similar sizes. Brush with oil (olive or coconut) and sprinkle with garlic powder, pink salt, and pepper to taste.
8) Place veggies and tofu on skewers and grill until veggies are tender and have grill marks.
9) Serve skewers immediately with brown rice or quinoa (my favorite is Path of Life Brown Rice-Quinoa frozen mix, warmed in the microwave)