ITALIAN SPAGHETTI SQUASH, serves 6 – 8
1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds scooped out
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup grape tomatoes
1⁄2 cup Cannellini Beans,
1 tsp Italian seasonings
Large handful of baby kale (2.5 oz) or spinach
Garnish: pine nuts (toasted, if desired), fresh parsley and/or basil (chopped), feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place spaghetti squash halves on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, with cut halves facing down. Pour a small
amount of water around the squash (1/4 cup), and place in oven for approximately 45 minutes. Squash will be soft
to the touch (be careful; it will be hot!) when ready. Alternatively, squash may be placed in a covered pyrex dish
and cooked in the microwave for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a nonstick pan over low heat. Add onion and saute until just softened. Add tomatoes
and continue to saute several more minutes, until tomatoes begin to burst open and release juices.
- To the pan, add Beans, Italian Seasonings, minced garlic, 1⁄2 tsp oregano, and kale.
- Allow kale to wilt slightly and beans to warm (approx 1-2 minutes).
- While squash is warm, pull a fork across the flesh to form spaghetti strands and place in a glass dish. Season to taste
with olive oil, pink salt, pepper.
- To serve, place a portion of seasoned spaghe] squash on each plate, top with warm tomato/kale mixture, and
garnish with toasted pine nuts, fresh basil and/or parsley, and a few dabs of feta or goat cheese. Finish with freshly
ground black pepper.
**Saute button mushrooms on the side.