You want flavor, fast, fun, and health… Try Jackfruit!
If you haven’t tried Jackfruit, you are in for a real treat! It’s the newest star to the vegan world, providing a meatless option for stir-fry, tacos, salad, wraps, and the like. But today, I’m featuring it with my favorite combination: black beans, quinoa, and brown rice. And what I especially love about jackfruit is that it has the texture of meat, but a fairly neutral but slightly sweet palate, so Upton’s (no, this is not a sponsored post!) has taken a beautiful fruit and seasoned it with natural, nonGMO ingredients to fulfill many unique flavors. My favorite is the Chili Lime Carnitas, since it pulls on my love for Mexican and Spanish foods.
Native to South India, the Jackfruit is a tree fruit and can reach up to 100 pounds. While you can purchase this in many stores, given its size, you can see why I appreciate that Upton’s has prepared and seasoned it for me (hey, I’m a lazy cook!).
Surprisingly, the Jackfruit has a pretty impressive nutritional profile packing (mostly) carbs, a fair amount of protein, which is unusual for fruit, and fat. It also packages a bit of nearly every vitamin and mineral as well as antioxidants and fiber, so you receive a boost to immunity, support for blood pressure and heart health, disease protection, and great skin. It really packages it all!
Let’s get cooking!
JACKFRUIT QUINOA BUDDHA BOWL, serves 4
- 2-15 oz package Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground Cumin
- Lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 package Path of Life Quinoa/Brown Rice blend
- 1-10 oz package Uptons Chili Lime Carnitas Jackfruit
- 2 cups Supergreens, chopped
- 1 avocado, ripe and sliced into thin pieces
- Salsa, chipotle, or pico de gallo
GARNISHES: Chopped, fresh cilantro, Lime wedges, jalapeño, and Late July Jalapeño Lime tortilla chips
- Place beans in a microwave safe bowl. Season to taste with spices, lime juice, 1/4 -1/2 of chopped cilantro, and salsa. Add water to thin to desired consistency and cover.
- Place Path of Life Quinoa mixture into microwave safe bowl, add a splash of water, and cover.
- Warm beans and quinoa in microwave.
- Meanwhile, warm small drizzle of avocado oil in skillet over medium heat and remove jackfruit from pouch, placing in skillet over medium heat. Saute for 5-8 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally and breaking up with spatula for smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Divide quinoa, black beans, jackfruit, greens, and avocado evenly between 4 deep-bottomed bowls.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeños, pico de gallo, and chips.
**Sometimes I add chunks of (leftover) sweet potato, which is a nice addition and contrast to the savory flavors.
If you love this recipe, I hope you will try it and tag me @pacerkristen/#pacerkristen with your awesome creation! And, hop on my Move Back Into Your Body program for more awesome and easy meals!