It’s most definitely Summer Time. My recent visit to the local Farmer’s Market reminded me of this season with its bounty of fresh, vibrant fruits and veggies that are readily available and perfect for nourishing my body for looking my best and feeling energetic all day long. Today’s recipe screams “SUMMERTIME!”
Here’s what I love about today’s quintessential summer recipe…It uses local, nutrient dense produce, uses no oil for the pesto, is flexible for the whole family, can be eaten OUTSIDE, al fresco, with your fingers no less…and it’s NOT PIZZA!! I’ve prepared mine in Spring Roll wrappers to keep it light for lunch. Yours can be spun into a whole wheat tortilla or traditional wrap for ease and for a heartier version.
Add chicken for the kids, keep it veggie for yourself, even add steak for the carnivorous hubs! Easy days, easy lunch or dinner…you can even pack it to go! Let’s get started on your PK Original…Lemon Pesto Wraps!
LEMON PESTO WRAPS
LEMON PESTO: I typically double or triple this recipe to have extra for future recipes. Once made, this may be used immediately or frozen in ice cube trays. Simply spoon pesto into an ice cube tray. Freeze, and then remove from trays. Store in a freezer bag for later use on spiraled zucchini, grilled chicken or fish, pizza, pastas, or just about anything you can dream up to create!
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1 small cloves of garlic, more to taste
- 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast OR parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- water to thin (about 2-3 tbsp)
- lemon zest to taste
- Spring Roll Wrappers
- Lemon Pesto (recipe above)
- Julienned (matchstick cut) and/or grated vegetables, such as red bell peppers, zucchini, onions, carrots, broccoli sprouts, avocado
- If desired thinly sliced chicken, steak, crab meat, or fish
- Prepare pesto by toasting pine nuts in a dry pan (no oil needed) over medium low heat. They toast rapidly, so watch with an attentive eye.
- Once toasted, place pine nuts and remaining pesto ingredients into a food processor to blend until finely chopped into a paste. Add teaspoons of water to thin to your desired consistency.
- Wipe pan clean and fill with 1/2″ warm water. With one spring roll at a time, lightly submerge the spring roll wrapper into the warm water bath until softened but not “melted.” This process takes only seconds and is very easy to do once mastered.
- With smooth side of wrapper facing down, fill with desired ingredients , top with lemon pesto, and roll up, like a burrito.
- If desired, serve with a side of lemon pesto for dipping.
BON APPETIT! Enjoy and marvel at your beautiful creation!