LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING, RIGHT? TO TRANSFORM YOUR HEALTH, LOSE WEIGHT, and GAIN WELLNESS, DON’T BE FOOLED!!!
What you SEE might not be REALITY, and Facebook plus Photoshop only punctuate my point! !!! It’s no different with our health and with nutrition. Case in point, our grocery stores are filled with “healthy items” that are “ORGANIC,” NON-GMO,” “WHOLE GRAINS,” “ FIBER ENRICHED,” even “GLUTEN FREE!” Yet, obesity is at an all time high with 2 of every 3 Americans considered to be overweight or obese, according to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009–2010.
With such a dichotomy, it can leave one wondering where to find health and what to eat. Even more puzzling, the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t APPROVE your foods and beverages; instead they simply maintain that the Nutritional Facts panel is present and allow food companies to self-monitor for accuracy. In 2008, the Government Accountability Office released a report in which they claimed approximately 24% of food levels were inaccurate! It pays to be your own advocate by knowing your way around the label!
Here it is in a nutshell…LEARN TO READ NUTRITIONAL LABELS!!! I wrote a blog on clean eating, and this runs along the same vein. It’s no surprise that most food corporations are driven by profit. The higher the volume of sales, the higher the profit. Marketing drives their businesses. So, it’s little surprise that packages are very deceiving! They lead you to believe packaged food will help you to “lose weight, feel great!” Why not!?!? We live in a fast paced world, so easy solutions that provide healthy are very appealing in our instant gratification world. BUT DON’T BE FOOLED!
- INGREDIENTS…Can you pronounce and identify the ingredients? My blog on clean eating addresses this very topic!
- ATTEND TO SERVINGS…Are the calories listed for one or multiple servings?
- KNOW YOUR NUMBERS…. What do you need in a day and what nutrients are provided? You can calculate your specific numbers on the USDA website: (https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/), though for an average 30-59 year old female, the following dietary allowances include:
- Sodium 1350 mg (should not exceed your daily caloric intake)
- Saturated Fat 19 g
- Carbohydrates 275 g
- Protein 58 g
- Fiber 25 g
- Sugar 24 g (that’s 6 teaspoons…it should be even less than that!!!)
- Total carbohydrates to fiber (the ratio of total carbs to fiber should be 5 or less. For example, if your cereal contains 25 grams of total carbs, it should contain 5 grams or more of fiber or more for a ratio of 5 or less)
- Sodium to calories per serving. The milligrams of sodium should not exceed calories. Alternatively, the milligrams of sodium should not be greater than the serving size. For example, a food containing 230mg sodium in a package of crackers with 150 calories is too much!
- CALCULATE SUGAR CONTENT… Learn to calculate how many teaspoons of sugar are in each serving. Females should not exceed 24 daily grams (6 teaspoons) of sugar and mean are limited at 36 grams (9 teaspoons). To stay within your limit, read the sugar content and divide the grams of sugar by 4. For example, a glass of juice typically contains 22 grams of sugar. That’s 5.5 teaspoons..almost the total daily limit for females! It really adds up!
- BE CAUTIOUS OF AMBIGUOUS, TAG WORDS such as “real, sugar-free, whole grains, natural, low-fat, no added nitrites or nitrates, no high fructose corn syrup, gluten-free, no artificial sweeteners or preservatives, GMO free, cage free/free range, no artificial growth hormones (rBST), grass fed, organic). These are all great, but the ingredients need to back their claims of being healthy.
- IDENTIFY HIDDEN CHEMICALS…Processed foods typically contain ingredients to preserve, thicken, even out texture, make it more palatable, and more. It’s smart to know what’s real food and what’s not so hidden chemicals don’t sabotage your diet!
IT’S TIME TO RETHINK NUTRITION. DON’T BE FOOLED!!!! KNOW YOUR NUMBERS, READ THE LABEL FOR INGREDIENTS and STATS!!!LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING, RIGHT? TO TRANSFORM YOUR HEALTH, LOSE WEIGHT, and GAIN WELLNESS, DON’T BE FOOLED!!!
**Want PURE, OPTIMAL, CLEAN NUTRITION? Use my health code to receive $50 off your purchase of any certified organic, nonGMO Purium Health Product and get registered for my next 10 or 4o day nutritional program to stop being tricked by labels and learn how to eat with a nutrient-dense diet…sans labels!