Eat more kale! It’ll keep you alive longer!
According to a study in Experimental Biology, JUST ONE SERVING of greens (Superfood Greens) per day DECREASED ONE’S RISK OF DEATH BY 15% and it even protected cognitive decline associated with aging. Imagine eating the 6-8 servings that I recommend daily! That’s a solid life insurance policy, yet according to the National Cancer Institute, 90% percent of Americans don’t reach the minimum recommended servings of daily greens!
“Yes,” you read correctly,…only 10% of Americans are consuming the recommended daily fruits and vegetables…and those who do so are typically eating potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and iceberg lettuce, not the nutrient dense, cellular healing Supergreens and vegetables. In fact, according to the USDA, Americans eat more iceberg lettuce than kale, romaine, and spinach combined! Dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, in particular, keep your cells healthy, thriving and alive. Think kale! It’s a dark, leafy, cruciferous vegetable. No wonder is considered a superfood!
A powerhouse of nutrients, kale benefits your bones, your heart and digestive system and pretty much everything in between. Their beautiful green leaves provide:
- Support for weight loss
- Boost to the immune system
- Vegan protein
- Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- Effective detox in the liver
- Metabolic boost
- Stabilization for blood sugar levels
- Balance for pH levels (alkalinity)
- Prevents anemia (rich in iron)
- Many vitamins and minerals
- Improved eye health
Benefits aside, I also understand that many individuals don’t prefer kale. It’s rich in chlorphyll, high in alkalinity, and it’s bitter. That trio is nearly extinct in our modern day diet, so the taste can be an adjustment for sure. But, the real trick to making kale palatable and wanting to eat truckloads of it is knowing HOW to prepare these dark leafies.
My Mango Avocado Kale Salad is perfect to fall in love with these vibrant greens. It takes only minutes to prepare and showcases kale leaves bathing in a lemon-avocado dressing with sweet mango and the crunch of protein-rich quinoa. What I love most is that this salad really requires no recipe, and you basically just use your hands (no fancy gadgets) to throw together. Its taste and beauty will make you look like a top notch chef! And for a complete meal, top each salad with grilled salmon.
Get mixing! And, please tag me with your creations @pacerkristen/#pacerkristen I can’t wait to see how much you love this salad.
MANGO AVOCADO KALE SALAD WITH QUINOA CRUNCH
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice , plus more to taste if desired
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 pinches pink salt (or to taste)
- 1-1/2 avocados, diced
- 2 mangos, diced
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted nuts (pistachios or cashews)
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1-2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/8- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed, toasted, and seasoned with garlic powder to taste
- Wash, rinse, and dry kale.
- Use your hands or a knife to strip the leaves from the stems and place in large salad bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa and place in a small pan over low heat. Sprinkle with garlic powder to taste and toast to a golden brown.
- Allow to cool while mixing salad.
- To the salad bowl of kale, add lemon zest and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Massage juice into leaves until they begin to wilt slightly and turn vibrant green.
- Add avocado oil and season with one pinch of salt. Taste and add lemon juice and second pinch of salt if desired.
- Gently add diced avocado and mango.
- Use hands to gently toss, allowing some of the avocado to mash and coat the leaves.
- Add shallots, minced ginger, cashews, and toasted quinoa.
- Mix gently and divide between 4 plates for main salads.
If you love this salad and enjoy the idea of having a nutrient dense meal plan template each week, it’s time to hop on my programs to gain support and balance in your life!