Sometimes you just crave NACHOS!!…minus the heart clogging queso, processed chips, and the terrible feeling after you’ve indulged on this amazing Tex-Mex treat.
This is pretty typical on weekends, especially Friday nights! We are all shouting for the same thing…a “light,” snacky dinner! There’s just something about the beans, cheese, and salty chips that makes wonderful explosive happiness occur with each bite. But, how could I possibly serve up nutrient-lacking, artery clogging food week to week? You know the drill, I had to respin this American, family favorite!
I’m pretty sure I have the most superb solution…VEGAN NACHOS…that actually pack some punch in the nutritional game! Picture chips with chia and quinoa seeds (protein!) loaded up with bulgur wheat that replicates the texture and bulk of beef alongside black beans (protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals!) and finished off with a vegan cheese sauce. Honestly, this is too good to be true…but it is! This can be created all within 30 minutes…just don’t tell your family it’s healthy!!
** Even my children LOVED this recipe… Regular, shredded cheddar cheese could be used in place of the queso, but I would argue the Siete Queso makes this amazing, and if you don’t tell them it’s made from cashew milk, they’ll never know! Rest easily, knowing your weekend fun is still loaded with plant based health!!!
Author: Pacer Kristen/Kristen Tinker
- 2 cups bulgur wheat, prepared according to package directions
- McCormick’s Organic Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 10 oz can black beans, drained
- Spices for seasoning beans: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt
- lime juice
- Late July Chia and Quinoa chips
- Siete Vegan Cashew Queso
- Easy Guacamole: Mash one ripe avocado with lemon juice, Himalayan Pink Salt, and cayenne pepper to taste.
**For an even speedier prepartion, use Amy’s Organic Black Bean Chili. Warm and pour across the top of chips in place of the bulgur wheat and black bean mixture.
Garnishes: Jalapeños, Halved Grape Tomatoes, Chopped Cilantro, Salsa, and Easy Guacamole.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Prepare bulgur wheat according to package directions.
- Once bulgur wheat is soft and most of water has been absorbed, mix taco seasoning into approx 2 cups bulgur wheat and add a small bit of warm water (approx 1/4 cup) to distribute evenly. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile warm drained and rinsed black beans in a glass dish in microwave. (Season to taste, if desired, with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, salsa to moisten with lime juice).
- Place chips on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake about 4-5 minutes.
- When chips are toasted, transfer to a serving platter and top with bulgur wheat taco mixture, black beans, warmed queso, jalapeños, halved grape tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and easy Guacamole.
- Serve warm!