ONE SKILLET VEGGIE HASH WITH ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
The one skillet meal is my favorite all time dinner. What’s not to love about fast and easy while using up veggies you already have on hand to minimize grocery store visits? And with only one skillet to wash (technically, you’re not even supposed to wash an iron skillet…go for the win, here!), there’s really little to no clean up afterwards! Even better!
This Veggie Hash uses immunity boosting garlic, onion, and rosemary with added fiber for gut health. I could seriously ramble on forever about the health benefits of this dish, especially its high antioxidants and fiber. It literally contains four of the Eight Foods You Should Eat Daily to boost your health with the backdrop of deliciousness and adaptability.
My recipe takes on an Italian, lemony, pine flavor from the rosemary, but you can craft this one skillet hash to bend towards Mexican flavors with cilantro, cumin, chili power, and pumpkin seeds OR fragrant Asian flavors with sesame oil, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Have fun with creating unique flavors!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced (0r 6 baby bell peppers)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- handful of grape tomatoes (approximately 8)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, unsalted, toasted
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Italian Seasonings to taste
- Pinch of Red pepper chili flakes
- Optional: Vegan feta cheese (to taste)
- Warm olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add harder veggies, sweet potato, bell pepper, and carrots, first.
- Saute until slightly soft.
- Add softer veggies: onion, zucchini, and tomatoes. Saute until all veggies are cooked to the same semi-soft perfection.
- Last add garlic, rosemary, lightly tossing 1-2 minutes, until skillet is fragrant, but not allowing garlic to burn or to overcook (it will become bitter).
- Season with salt and pepper and Italian Seasonings to taste, adding Red Chili flakes for a bit of heat, if desired.
- Optional: Vegan or dairy feta cheese adds a nice, creamy contrast.
This Veggie Hash makes an excellent main or side dish.