SMOKY TEMPEH SALAD Tempeh is one of my favorite “go to” recipes for plant-based protein. It subs in nicely for most meat dishes, is adaptable, easy to use, and takes on any flavor you choose. And I especially love the nutritional boost from Tempeh. With its savory, nutty taste, you also gain the benefit of added fiber, protein, pre and probiotics, vitamins, and minerals.
According to recent research, soy provides great benefit to a healthy plant-based diet when selected in an organic, nonGMO, whole food source. Soy contains lots of vitamins and minerals, is low in calories, full of fiber, and is a great protein alternative for those wanting to decrease or eliminate meat consumption.
Research studies have shown:
1. Daily (soy) isoflavone intake improved blood flow by 68% in those at risk of stroke
2. Daily soy intake reduced risk of breast cancer by 48-56%
3. Higher intakes of tofu reduced stomach cancer risk by 61%
4. High soy consumption reduced prostate cancer by 32-51%
5. Soy isoflavones supported healthy blood sugar levels, improved insulin sensitivity, and blood fats, lowering risk of diabetes and heart disease
6. Soy was associated with improved bone and brain health
7. Soy reduced wrinkles and improved skin elasticity
8. Soy isoflavones improved weight loss
Why not try tempeh? All it takes is the right marinade, and then add it to the dish of your liking. I can’t wait to hear how you like my Smoky Tempeh Salad!
- 8 oz tempeh
- 3 tbsp Tamari
- 2 tsp Cholula Chipotle Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, ground black pepper
- 5 ounces Supergreens, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- Vegan feta cheese
- Smoked paprika and additional olive oil for sautéing and drizzling
- Avocado, sliced
- Optional: red chili pepper, julienned
- Slice tempeh into thin slices and set aside.
- On a shallow dish or in a secured bag, mix tamari, chipotle sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and black pepper. Using a small whisk, mix well to incorporate.
- Place tempeh into the dish or bag and marinate for at least 3-5 minutes. Several hours or overnight will allow the tempeh to absorb the marinade to yield a smokier, more robust taste.
- Warm a pan with a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan and oil are hot, saute the tempeh for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Allow the tempeh to brown and caramelize a bit.
- Remove tempeh to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Return pan (do not wash in between) to heat and drizzle with a few more tsp of olive oil.
- Add onion slice and saute until onion is tender, a bit caramelized, and transparent; then remove pan from heat.
- Divide the chopped greens on 2 plates. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each salad with 1/2 of the warm tempeh, sautéed onions, vegan feta cheese, avocado slices, and julienned red chili pepper.
- Drizzle each salad with olive oil if desired and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Orange wedges accompany nicely…and so do chopsticks!
Enjoy! Please let me know how you liked this recipe! Post and share your creation, and tag me when you do! @pacerkristen, #pacerkristen