Move aside egg, potato, and chicken salad…There’s really nothing more satisfying in the sandwich world than a Sun-dried Tomato Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
Creamy with savory flavors that pop? Yes, please!
I am totally in ❤️❤️ with Chickpeas!! And why not?
When you find a plant-based protein that is also full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, how can you not be on board with using Chickpeas at every opportunity? I love that this recipe uses ingredients you already have on hand, it comes together in just minutes, and it’s “guilt free,” using nothing but clean ingredients that nourish your body.
This recipe is ideal for spring, summer, and warmer months, since it is fast and easy to make without turning on the stove, and it stores and transports easily too!
Chickpeas aren’t just for hummus, y’all! But they do go well together in this yummy salad!
- 15 oz can chickpeas
- 2 T hummus
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 T red onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil (reserve 2 tsp oil)
- 2 tsp oil (reserved from sun-dried tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 tsp herbes de provence or Italian Seasonings (two different flavors…Herbes de Provence are much more fragrant while Italian Seasonings are more subtle and traditional/predictable)
- Optional: small handful of lightly toasted pine nuts, which add a nutty contrast and texture
- Drain, rinse, and place chickpeas in medium size bowl.
- Using a fork, hand dough blender, or small processor, roughly mash 1/2 to 3/4 of the chickpeas.
- Add remaining ingredients (through optional pine nuts) and mash to desired texture, adding more hummus and water to create a creamier texture.
- Adjust seasonings and serve in a sandwich with tomatoes, onion and greens, with crackers, baguette, or crudites, or on a bed of leafy greens.
- Leftovers may be stored in a glass container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Please let me know how much you love this salad!
Tag me @pacerkristen with the hashtag #pacerkristen with your awesome creations!