My favorite meals are created when I look through my fridge and pantry, rummage up nutrient dense superfoods and put them together in a creative fashion. Tonight is no exception. Sweet potatoes, avocados, and kale are the stars of dinner this time, in the form of a unique, savory waffle, served atop a kale salad and garnished with an avocado salsa.
This beautifully plated and delicious dinner is one large dose of vitamins K (anti-inflammatory), A, C, E and D, beta- carotene, fiber, potassium, and healthy fats that assist in vitamin absorption. I just love it when dinner comes together and all the ingredients work in concert to serve a complete round of nutrition! Get cooking!
SWEET POTATO WAFFLES, serves 4
EASY, 30 minutes
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- freshly squeezed juice from one half lemon
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- 1 lb. sweet potato, skin on, grated or spiralized
- 2 eggs, beat with fork
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 oz. bag chopped Kale
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Coconut oil, for pan and additional for drizzling
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- In small bowl, mix avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In covered, medium microwave proof bowl, steam spiralized sweet potato for approximately 2 minutes, until potato pieces are slightly softened. Allow to cool for several minutes, stiring mixture to speed cooling process and to dissipate cooking.
- Add eggs and seasonings to cooled potato mixture (if potatoes aren’t cooled, eggs will cook!)
- Divide potato mixture evenly into four portions of waffle iron. Allow to cook 8 minutes, until slight crust forms on sides and the waffle begins to lift in one piece.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tsp kale to warm pan. Allow kale to sauté for 2-3 minutes, while still maintaining its brilliant green color. In the last minute of cooking, add garlic and continue to stir to prevent burning.
To serve, place ¼ of wilted kale salad on plate, season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with one waffle, and place dallop of avocado salad atop. If desired, drizzle with additional coconut oil and season to taste. Garnish with additional lemon wedges.
**WAFFLES MAY ALSO BE SERVED AS A SIDE DISH.
**RECIPE MAY BE ALTERED TO CREATE BREAKFAST WAFFLES BY ADDING 2 EGGS, PUMPKIN PIE SPICE, CHOPPED PECANS, AND ADDITIONAL CINNAMON. DRIZZLE WITH AGAVE MAPLE CINNAMON SYRUP. MY CHILDREN LOVE THESE SWEET WAFFLES!