There’s really nothing like Mexican food. It’s got spice, warmth, creamy guac, earthy refried beans, all served up alongside salty, crunchy tortillas with a cool, sweet salsa on the side. Does it really get any better than that?
I love all things Mexican. What I don’t love is the lard, high sodium, saturated fats, heavy meat and dairy, and GMO corn products. It’s a real bummer for this Mexican food aficionado. Hey, I’ve lived close to the border in San Antonio and Tucson, which pretty much makes me an expert, right?
I’ve long struggled with the dilemma of favorite food versus health, until I realized there are lots of great options for a Mexican food fix using plant based, healthier alternatives. Best part? Bulgur wheat cooks up quickly, in about 5-10 minutes, so this recipe is fast and easy for a weeknight meal, when lots of family activities are happening.
Here’s where it’s time to get acquainted with bulgur wheat, a whole wheat product that has not been stripped of its bran and germ. This both allows its texture to closely resemble ground beef, and it best retains the nutrients yielding bulgur wheat a super source of protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients! That being said, like whole wheat products, bulgur wheat does still contain gluten, so those who are gluten sensitive or suffering from celiac, would want to use this recipe with quinoa, lentils, or beans in place of the bulgur wheat. I love that…this recipe is flexible too!
In fact, this bulgur wheat “taco filling” is so flexible, you could use this sprinkled on a salad, rolled in a tortilla, on nachos or scrambled eggs, or even in veggie chili…and so I have made the recipe to include extra bulgur wheat taco filling! Get ready for yummy goodness!
BULGUR WHEAT TACOS, serves 4
Author: Pacer Kristen
INGREDIENTS: Please note, there are several brand recommendations, but I am not paid for endorsing them in any way.
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 4 cups Pacific organic veggie broth
- 1 – 15 oz can Eden’s organic, BPA -free black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- McCormick’s Organic Taco Seasoning
- Organicville Salsa (for serving tacos and to season the bulgur wheat mixture)
- 1 package nonGMO Garden of Eatin Yellow or Blue Taco Shells
GARNISHES: Siete Cashew Queso (this is an amazing queso), cabbage/cole slaw mix, cilantro, pico de Gallo/salsa/chipotle sauce, jalapeño rings, fresh limes for squeezing,
- Place broth in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil and add bulgur wheat.
- Cook the bulgur wheat over medium-low heat for approximately 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until wheat is soft and easy to chew. Watch pan carefully, adding additional broth if required. Add black beans in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Once beans and quinoa are cooked through, add McCormick seasoning, lime juice, and oil to moisten, adding more to taste and texture.
- Scoop bulgur wheat mixture into taco shells and garnish with desired toppings. (note that you will have extra taco filling to be reserved for another Mexican creation.)
- Serve warm alongside refried beans (my favorite are Amy’s Refried Beans with Chiles) and orange wedges.
Please post and tag me with your awesome creations @pacerkristen or #pacerkristen…I cannot wait to see what you put together!