I’ve got an immune-boosting recipe for you today that’s AB-SOLUTELY delicious!
These days I’m all about anything that helps shore up my defenses against illness – and I definitely encourage you to do the same! This isn’t just good now while we’re in the middle of fighting a pandemic, but for everyday life.
So, why is this recipe so awesome?
It’s packed with pre and probiotics and loaded with plant protein from Tempeh, a fermented soy product that is packed with vitamins and minerals and also with anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
And, since tempeh is a fermented product, it’s more digestible than meat. As I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, your gut plays a HUGE role in your immune system, so my Tempeh Chicken Salad is a big win to improve digestion and gut health. It contains both pre-and probiotics.
And BONUS … it’s surprisingly easy to make…one bowl, 5 minutes, and you’re DONE 🙂
In an environment that seems to work AGAINST all those healthy gut bacteria with poor diets, stress, lack of sleep, sedentary lifestyles, etc. – it’s a great idea to do everything you can to help shore them up!
Why not leverage a yummy lunch or dinner with good gut health?
Note: Please make sure you get organic Tempeh for this recipe, since non-organic soy is most definitely treated with gut-killing glyphosate chemicals, the active ingredient in Roundup! If it kills weeds in your yard, imagine what it might do to your gut!
This vegan “chicken” salad is delicious as a salad topper, used in a wrap or sandwich, or as an appetizer with crackers, romaine lettuce leaves, carrot chips, or bell peppers for scooping! Just make extra, because it will be gone quickly!
TEMPEH “CHICKEN” SALAD
MAKES 4-6 SERVINGS Ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup (125 g) plain yogurt or vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 heaping tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill (dried works but doesn’t give nearly the boost of flavor)
- 1/4 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 11⁄2 cup (250 g) crumbled tempeh
- 4 cups (300 g) salad greens
- 1 cup (200 g) sliced grape tomatoes 1⁄2 cup (85 g) chopped red bell pepper
**Additional vegan mayo or plain yogurt may be used if you prefer more “moisture” in your salad.
- Make dressing: In a bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, cayenne, miso and dill. Whisk together and taste. Adjust seasonings.
- Fold in the crumbled tempeh.
- For a lunchtime salad, serve over the salad greens, tomatoes and pepper.